Array

Demolition of the Collapsed Miami Building brought forward

Date:

Share post:

 

A demolition order has been brought forward for the standing part of the building that collapsed near Miami. 

This move was considered due to the tropical storm which will be hitting the region.

The death toll has risen to 24, with 124 people missing after the collapse of the 12-storey building on 24 June.

Meanwhile, officials are looking for any structural faults in the other tower blocks.

On Saturday, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said the forthcoming demolition would “protect our search-and-rescue teams”.

He added: “We don’t know when it could fall over. With these gusts that would create a real severe hazard.”

Florida is expecting storm Elsa, a 75-mph (120km/h) hurricane to arrive early next week.

Therefore, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Cava Levine signed a demolition order on Friday. Although in the beginning, she said that she expected this would not happen until late July.

Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said the fear was that the storm would knock the rest of the building down, while the survivors were still being discovered.

“Obviously the building is a problem and the only solution is to get rid of it,” he said.

As per Ms Cava, the families who lost their loved ones had been told about this and “they understand”.

The experts have been formulating a plan on Saturday, and the destruction will be controlled, with the use of explosive charges.

No information about compensating the owners have been provided so far.

A firefighter discovered the body of his own child from the remains of the collapsed building. Stella Cattarossi is the third child to be recovered from the site in the Miami suburb of Surfside.

Furthermore, the residents of another block were told to leave on safety grounds. This will be the first building to be given such an order in the area since the collapse.

Crestview Towers Condominium residents were ordered to evacuate by North Miami Beach Building Department.

But the reason behind the collapse of the 40-year-old Champlain Towers South is still a mystery. Although, a 2018 inspection warned of “major” design flaws in the original design.

 

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Badshah put an end to a 15-year-long feud with Yo Yo Honey Singh

Singer-rapper Badshah publically puts an end to the ongoing feud with fellow artist Yo Yo Honey Singh during...

Panchayat director Deepak Kumar Mishra’s possible plot twists in the new season 

Panchayat director Deepak Kumar Mishra discussed some of the possible plot twists in season 3 of this much-anticipated...

Jeremy Renner Shares Daughter Ava’s Contribution to His Recovery After Snowplow Accident 

Jeremy Renner's recovery from a near-fatal snowplow accident is about to complete a year now. The actor believes...

Harrison Butker Breaks Silence on His Controversial  Speech 

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker finally opened up about the backlash he is getting after the commencement...