A man killed four women, a man and wounded two others by using a bow and arrow to attack them in Norway.
Initially, the police received word of an attack at 18:12 local time (16:12 GMT) in the Kongsberg town which is the south-west of the capital Oslo
The 37-year-old Danish man has been arrested and interrogated for hours overnight.
Moreover, police said they had been in contact with the man beforehand because of the fears of radicalisation after he converted to Islam.
The age of all the victims lies between 50 to 70 – regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.
According to the police chief, the victims were possibly killed after they first confronted the attacker at 18:18.
Prime Minister of Norway, Erna Solberg said that the reports of the incident were “horrifying”. In addition to this she said: “I understand that many people are afraid, but it’s important to emphasise that the police are now in control.”
It is believed that the attacker had hurled the assault inside a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg’s west side.
Among those who were injured included one off-duty police officer who was present in the shop at that time.
Local police chief Oyvind Aas confirmed that the attacker had managed to escape an initial clash with police before an arrest was finally made at 18:47 local time, 35 minutes after the attack began.
Furthermore, one witness said that she heard a commotion and saw a woman taking cover, then a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand”.
“Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand,” she added.
The attack was Norway’s deadliest since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people, most of them at a children’s Labour Party summer camp on the island of Utoya in July 2011.